Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Crocodile And The Fish!



Dear loving people,
   
While living with my parents in a rural community sometime in the past, I went fishing with some friends at the nearby river one August morning. It was such an interesting experience that enabled me to learn something.

Sitting by the river side, I noticed a huge crocodile swimming sluggishly close to the surface of the water towards me. There was equally a shoal of fish swimming away from me and towards the advancing crocodile.  The sluggish crocodile opened its mouth wide as if to yawn and unfortunately for one of the fish, it swam directly into its jaws when the crocodile closed its mouth again.

As greedy as the crocodile was, it once again opened its mouth probably to get more fish trapped in before chewing. I could clearly see that the fish in its mouth was still alive and fighting to free itself.  I thought of assisting the unfortunate fish but couldn’t dare because I figured the crocodile will not spare my arm if at all it didn’t get me in place of the fish.

I could see the little fish fighting tooth and nail to free itself in the crocodile’s mouth.  It twisted from side to side, jumping as high as it could even though some of its fins appeared broken.  I was calling to it to jump out of the crocodile’s mouth before the jaws clamped shut again.  I feared the fish would then be swallowed up.

Then I decided to remove my hook from the water and to step away so as not to block the way.  When I did, the little fish jumped out of the crocodile’s mouth and swam away into the wild river as fast as it could propel itself.

Now I tell you that no matter what your current circumstances are, this anecdote has a strong message for you if you are serious about your quest for success. 

Just a little exercise, consider yourself to be the fish and label the crocodile with your worst fears and challenges to success then you will better appreciate how sluggish and useless such fears and challenges are in the face of your determination to excel. 
Do you then notice how much you have been worrying yourself to death? Don't you feel sometimes that you are being swallowed up by your worst fears and challenges?

Now put yourself in my place as the observer of that scene. Haven't you often thought of ways to reach in and help yourself, but you didn't quite dare?  How might you step aside and get out of your own way so that you might soar?

Instead of swimming in the direction of your worst fears and getting caught by your challenges, can you swim somewhere else?  Where?  See it and swim there!

The possibilities are endless and intriguing.  Remember this story the next time you are afraid of moving on!

1 comment:

  1. Truly, our fears keep us down; and when we take courage and dare, we realize we needn't have feared in the first place. I have always believed each person has a place at the summit in one way or the other; and for some it comes early; for some it comes late. The truth is those who put their fears behind them and dash ahead with courage sooner or later get the golden crown.

    ReplyDelete