Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I Tried


Dear lovely people,

Sitting in a lonely room with his head in his hands that evening, Polinus told himself all was over for him. He was so convinced and decided to write a letter to his old mother before doing what he had premeditated….

My most lovely mum, as I write to you now, I feel as if the world is on my shoulders, I can feel its wait. I was committed in school, graduated with good grades, I have hunted for a job for over five years to no avail. I have tried to do menial jobs and still no headway. I tried my best mum, I tried.

I decided to go back to school, I was conscious you had no funds to finance my education so, I tried my hands at all scholarship opportunities I came across, you know the rest, all were negative. I have tried.

I tried to do business, I got into all sorts of negotiations still, I have had many more rejections than acceptances. The few that came through, I invested all I had and one after the other, my efforts have all gone down the drain. Trust me when I say I have tried, mum you know I have tried.

I have read books, I have attended seminars, I have tried my best at this positive thinking stuff but looks like the more I try to stay positive, the more negativities come my way. I have tried mum, heaven knows I have tried.

As I write to you now, all is over for me. I think I am at the end of pain and so should end it all. Don’t come looking for me mum, wipe off the tears that are sure to roll down your beautiful and soothing chicks and move on. Count me as one of the failures you have had in life and may Providence give you the strength to carry on…..

What a letter. Some of the times, most of us feel the pain Polinus felt, we experience failure in various ways at different times. We put in our best and feel as if nothing is moving forward. Is that enough reason to give up? Should you surrender to the negativities that come your way? What happened to your fighting spirit? What happened to that heroic nature in you implanted by God?

God assures us in Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” You can’t decide on your own to give up when God has not said so. Keep on fighting even when you have no reason to fight on and before you know it, the day will come when you will not remain in pain.

A few days after Polinus gave up and disappeared into thin air, came a letter for a full scholarship and as if that was not enough, one of the contracts he had been waited for got approved. Here where two giant opportunities to transform Polinus’ life but where was he? He was languishing in the fangs of ‘surrender’. Never ever give up and the day will come when you will smile and say “I tried.”

No comments:

Post a Comment