Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Gift Of Kindness



Dear lovely people,

“When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.”  - Dalai Lama XIV

It was late afternoon and I was driving home. At the Central hospital junction, I turned right instead of keeping straight and it didn’t occur to me until I had packed my car and found myself within the hospital premises. It was strange but I kept on walking until I met a woman I had never seen before sitting in front of a closed door and holding what looked like a doctor’s prescription.

Reading through, I realized it was going to cost her a fortune to get her treatment. Strangely enough and without asking her opinion, I took her to the hospital pharmacy and paid for her medications. She was speechless, so grateful and the smile on her face said it all. I thanked her, and left carrying along her contagious smile.

My dear people, giving is not about the other person’s perceived need; it’s about the act itself. We are choosing to be the best version of ourselves when our actions demonstrate the best within us. Do you remember how you felt the last time you gave? I am willing to bet you felt good about yourself, and good about the act. And that’s great! Now, was that good feeling because you filled a need, or because of the act in general? Think about it and think seriously.

I must tell you that such good feeling comes because giving is an act of kindness. I could have looked at the woman at the hospital that day and conclude that she didn’t need or deserve my financial support especially as I didn’t plan to go to that hospital that day. My gift to her was not because she was desperate and abandoned. My gift to her was about kindness. It was about doing that extra little bit to lift someone else up.

In the spirit of giving, think about a gesture of kindness you can make to someone who you know or to a complete stranger. This is typically thought of as a random act of kindness or a good deed towards someone with the motivation to spread goodwill and brighten someone’s day. This gift of kindness can bring about the greatest positive impact on a person’s mood or spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment