Saturday, August 12, 2017

The Moonlit Room

Dear lovely people,

When you set your mind to achieve your fondest? Give it your best and never give up no matter the circumstances until you get what you set out to achieve.

Binta Yoyo Aboyeye are my names and here is my story… I was standing by the window of my dark bedroom gaping into the moonlit night. I was not listening to the whistling sounds from insects and other nocturnal creatures neither was I listening to the crackling sound of a stream nearby winding its way through rocks into the darkness. None of these natural endowments were of interest to me that night. My mind was preoccupied with some disturbing internal reflections.

I was asking myself why things where the way they had become with me? Why me? Why would every single thing I touch melt away? What have I done, which crime did I commit to merit such an outcome? It all started ten years back when I was tricked into sleeping with my supervisor’s daughter and got framed up for rape. Luckily for me, I did not end up with a prison sentence, but I lost my job. It was devastating for me as a young man who was at the beginning of a career you know, the embarrassment of passing around as a rapist. I cried, I prayed then came a new job one year later.

I had barely served for three months at this new position before being framed up once again but this time, for embezzlement. I was finally acquitted of all charges but again, I lost my job. This time, it was painful. I went for four years without a job, a time during which I thought I could invest in a business.

I started a provision store with the little I had saved and the store picked up really fast until I got up one morning to find that it had been burgled overnight. I cried, I prayed and painstakingly restocked it.

Eight months later, that black day, I was in the market buying provisions when my phone rang and I was told that my shop caught fire. I got there at the end of it all just to find that it had been reduced to ashes. Not even a tablet of soap was saved. The loss was enormous, I cried for weeks and prayed for God’s divine intervention in my life.

The worst form of hardship set in and I could barely eat. I decided to get a job again and after some months of job hunting, I got recruited. A few months into my new job, I told myself providence had finally smiled at me and I was once again picking up. I came back from a field trip one day only to be served a letter. My employer’s budget had so dwindled caused by the global slowdown to the extent that they were downsizing. I was one of the twenty who had been asked to leave in order to save the organization salary expenses.

I shock myself out of those reflections and decided to go back to sleep. As I moved back to bed that night, I told myself how tired I was of the happenings in my life. I had been plunged into some voracious loop of damnation. I told myself no matter how many times I failed, no matter what the devil was up to, I will not give up, I will emerge even if it means starting over and over again. Just before dosing off, I told myself that my rise to prominence was inevitable and that I will work on a new strategy, then I will bank on God and shame the devil.


Success can only come if you refuse to accept the momentary failures that are almost always sure to come your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment