Thursday, October 11, 2012

Overcoming Discouragement


Dear Loving People,

Has it happen to you that you wake up one morning feeling so discouraged? You turn around and nothing makes sense? Just a look in your wallet and you are reminded of your perpetually bad financial situation, you receive a phone call and you don’t want to live again. As if that is not bad enough, your spouse is depressed for a plethora of reasons, your kids are red with rage because you came home late last night, a loved one is down with a terminal illness, and the list keeps on.

In this life of ours, no matter who you are, what work you do, or whom you know, there are times when you get discouraged. I get discouraged many times over but I believe that no matter how difficult life is, there is always a solution. Discouragement happens to everyone but how you manage it, makes the difference. Giving in to discouragement, only amplifies your worries.

What we should dwell on as achievers is not the discouraging feeling in itself but rather on how to get out of it. Let me share with you my little experience. At one time, I woke up feeling really discouraged; I was perplexed and dejected; it occurred to me in the midst of all this perplexity that the Lord could be trying to tell me something from the experience. So I opened my Bible and guess what I fell on; Psalm 27:14 "Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!"

I decided this was not what I needed so I continued my search. Then, I came to Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest… For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Perfect! with these words, my burden was beginning to feel lighter. I just felt that God still had more for me if I read on. Lastly, I came upon Psalm 70. There it was, the solution I was searching for: "Make haste, O God, to deliver me! O Lord, make haste to help me! Let them be put to shame and confusion who seek my life…" Those were exactly the words I needed.

I do not know where you are today, what you are doing, or what burdens and frustrations you may have presently. But I can strongly advice that if you feel discouraged, consult God's book, the Bible, the Koran or whatever name you give it. There is power in connecting with a higher power.

William Arthur Ward wrote “Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you.”
 
When you come out of your discouragement, then you can be a big encourager to many others who might be suffering like you did. In the Bible, we read about Barnabas in Acts 4:36 who first appear as a Levite named Joseph from Cyprus. Barnabas was called, the Son of Encouragement because he knew how to inspire people toward greatness. Barnabas is a fine example of a man who knew how to give courage, hope and inspire the hearts of those who really needed help. Barnabas knew how to encourage the church leaders to accept Paul as one of their own. The encourager knew how to look beyond the surface to the depth of Paul’s love, determination and faith. Trust the Lord to help you to offer emotional, spiritual and social support for those who need encouragement.

The Duke of Wellington, the British military leader who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo, was not an easy man to serve under. He was brilliant, demanding, and not one to shower his subordinates with compliments. Yet even Wellington realized that his methods left something to be desired. In his old age a young lady asked him what, if anything, he would do differently if he had his life to live over again. Wellington thought for a moment, then replied. "I’d give more praise," he said.

Always take all your discouragement to God just perhaps when the Lord knows how desperate you are, He will tell a group of angels to work overtime to help you.

I feel better today. I hope you feel better, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment