Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Self-Image Part3



People with negative self-image some of the times unfairly personalize the actions around them. They may think that everything someone says or does in some way is a reflection of them. For example: If during a group conversation one individual walks away to go to the bathroom, the person with a negative self-image may think "they left because I was acting stupid again." There is also the feeling that "everyone hates me," or only hangs around because they feel sorry for them, or are just being polite. Compliments are seen as polite gestures, but not truly compliments, and are often met with an invalidating remark about themselves. For example: someone compliments on a negative person’s achievement and they reply, "no really, I'm so stupid. You should have seen how badly I messed up during my last activity..."

Self-blame can be another aspect, a people with a negative self-image may blame themself for everything bad that has ever happened to them, believing that in some way they deserved it; for example, "my parents hated me because I was such an irresponsible child." On the contrary, they may also blame others for everything and take no responsibility for their own lives. For example: "if you'd been there for me, I wouldn't have been this bad."

Negativity prevents you from being optimistic about any aspect of a situation or your life. Everything seems negative in one way or another, or you only pick the negative to focus on. In comparison to others, someone else who achieves something is considered great, but the same achievement for yourself would be met with negativity and how it could have been done better. Though the world is not seen as perfect and others are not expected to act as such, the person with a negative self-image may have high expectations of perfection for themselves.

Ultimately, one of the biggest perception distortions of the negative person is that "life will be better and I will be happy when I lose the weight, decolorize my body or buy the new car." There is a false sense of control that is achieved during self-starvation, a feeling of comfort when overdoing, or a temporary release of emotions and guilt during exclusion... In reality none of the above has been achieved except within the victim's perception. There is no light at the end of the tunnel of a person with a negative self-image, even though those who suffer may think there is. In reality, the only true light comes from recovery, from adopting a POSITIVE SELF-IMAGE.

It stands out clearly that with a negative self-image, underperformance characterizes your whole being. The only remedy is to realign your processes, and develop a POSITIVE SELF-IMAGE.

For the HOW? That is why Living Lectures is at your service.

- End -

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for being part of this and for all the encouragement. I know you've got a great mind.

      Delete
  2. I like this article. Many thanks for it. It pays to build a positive self image. This reminds me of Mrs. Ndofor and her talks at Gold Touch International.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daddy; that is very true what you say. I learned a lot from those talks and I have never stopped reflecting on them since then. I wake up each day reflecting on how to get even better and how to strengthen the mental picture I have of myself such that it can be put to use for growth.

      Delete