Friday, June 3, 2016

My Story Of Perspiration



Dear lovely people,

When Sandrina walked out of my life banging the door with all the strength she could muster that night, I thought my dreams, my life for short had no meaning again. Awake in bed all night, the sound of the door she banged was echoing perpetually in my head. I could feel the sweat drops from my body dampening my bedsheets and my body shivered with rage and nervousness...

Merriam Webster defines Perspiration as “the clear liquid that forms on your skin when you are hot or nervous” in which case, perspiration biologically helps us regulate our body temperature. On a typical hot day, your body will secrete just enough sweat to cool your skin to make you feel more comfortable.

You can be sure that night, it was neither hot nor cold but I was sweating and shivering at the same time. I felt as if a mysterious fever was enveloping my entire body.

Needless to ask what got me so nervous to the point of forming sweat droplets on my skin? There come the times when you're nervous about something in your life. Maybe you're nervous about someone you care about as I did. Maybe you're nervous about your own safety. Maybe you're nervous about how others are going to see you socially. Maybe you're nervous about your plans not working and fear you might not achieve your goals in life. That’s enough to give you the chills, goose bumps or the sweat drops. But then, how do you get out of all that? If you asked me, I’ll say you should get perspired. That was my exit.

Thomas Edison said “Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration.”  Perspiration is about focusing on doing the things that you love doing so you don’t get into the prison of hanging on those aspects of your life that don’t work. This is however different from avoiding tasks you must do to move forward because you instinctively think you don’t like that particular task. It was a fact that Sabina was gone and no matter how many sleepless nights I spent brooding over it would not change the fact.

Perspiration is about bringing yourself to doing what Maya Angelou said "…pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.” It generates self-motivation, it sharpens your vision, dedication and pumps adrenaline into your human engines of persistence. I had a decision to make; either to go after Sabina with revitalized energy and a more convincing strategy or move on accepting the situation as a defeat but learning from it.

Perspiration enable you leverage the power of your social bonding. Here though, you have to inscribe it at the center of your being that family isn’t always blood. They’re the people in your life who appreciate having you in theirs; the ones who encourage you to improve in healthy and exciting ways, and who not only embrace who you are now, but also embrace and embody who you want to be. These people – your real family, are the ones who truly matter.

Become perspired today for a better tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment