Thursday, November 24, 2016

A Letter To My Great Grandson




Dear Great Grandson,

My heart melts at the obvious possibility that you will be born and that by the time you read this letter, I would be long gone to the land of your ancestors. I know you will be such an incredible blessing to our family. Even before you are woven in the intricate secrecy of your mother’s womb, we already love you so much.

Your mother tells me I am the best grandad, I would have loved to physically be the best of the best great granddad possible, but I know I will watch over you from the other side. While I was a granddad to your mother, I want you to know I made some wishes I made and reserved for you as your life unfolds.

I always prayed for my entire family and so I have instructed everybody left behind, to pray for you. To pray for your health. To pray for a clear direction from God for you. Before my departure, I prayed endlessly for a better Cameroon wherein you will realize your fondest dreams. I prayed for the right future wife for you, even though that’s years down the road. Above all, I prayed for your salvation. I prayed that you will discover the grace that comes by faith in Jesus Christ. Nothing is more important.

I committed myself to fighting for a better Cameroon in which you should grow in the ways of the Lord. You have been given an incredible mom and dad. They love you so much. I worked hard to be the type of granddad that was always supportive of your parents. I have instructed them to heed to your desires for your life and to follow them accordingly. I have told them to have faith in the Cameroon we lived in and that no matter the hard struggles, some day in your time, you will meet and live in a much better Cameroon where Anglophones and Francophones live as brothers and sisters and especially as each other’s keeper. The bad seeds lingering within the country’s leadership would have been flushed out paving the way for better and brighter days.

Even in my next world, I plan to be your biggest fan. Of course, I don’t know what paths you will pursue, but I will be there in spirit to encourage you, to cheer you on, to remind you that you can do anything in God’s strength. It will be so exciting to see how God will direct you and how He will use you for this country. I pray that you will be an instrument of change and equally work to bequeath a better Cameroon than you met it.

I am certain that God has great plans for your life. I can’t even imagine the ways that He will use you. It will be a pure joy to watch His plan unfold in your life. I pray that you will not meet the Cameroon I lived in, a Cameroon where bloodshed, corruption, undercutting, viciousness and slander make some people happy. I pray you meet a Cameroon where human rights are respected, where minorities are considered a force than adversity and where leadership is to serve the common man and not a personal agenda.

Great grandson, before I ever married your great grandmother, I had dreams of having children. God granted that wish abundantly. I pray that God would give you the opportunity to mold the lives of those He will entrust to you just as he did to me. I don’t doubt that God will equally answer you prayers beyond measure. He will give you the spirit of common good, he will mold you to put others first and to be equitable and just in handling businesses of common good.  I am confident that God will make you a leader who will stand tall for the people and not for your pocket.

I dreamed of having grandchildren and great grandchildren, you are one such dream that God made possible. You are the first answer to those prayers. You are the next generation of blessing to me. I pray that you equally be a blessing to millions to come through your exemplary ways and lifestyle. In whatever capacity you are called upon to serve, do it entirely for the Glory of God. For always, burry your personal interests and work heartily as serving God not man.

I have learned as you will come to realize that this life is brief. I will be gone before you are born. I prayed that I will leave to you a legacy of love, a legacy of joy, and a legacy that demonstrated a heart committed to the Lord Jesus Christ. Then, and only then, can I say that my years with your parents were not lived in vain.

I love you, my great grandson. I love you so very much.

Great Granddad

No comments:

Post a Comment