Friday, January 6, 2017

School or No School?





Dear lovely people,

Every morning since the last three days, my Son greets me first thing looking directly into my eyes in search of answers as Monday 09 January 2017 draws near. You see as a parent, I want my son in school because his future, the kind of future I want for him depends on being in school.

At the same time, I ask myself what future? A future that will produced half-baked graduates? Graduates taught by Francophones using a language they know nothing about? Which culture do I want my son to grow up in? What system will he inherit? One wherein fathers lie on television in the name of politics? One in which fathers worship an individual who is no more Cameroonian than any other Cameroonian just so they can remain sitting around the begging table?

My father is my biggest role model and I tell him all the times. I have never on any occasion found him wanting and I think that’s because he had a sound education under a sound system at the time. He even became an exemplary teacher, one of the few who has received praises and homages from outstanding people in his life time than negative criticism. My father on several occasions, refused applying for a labor medal insisting that it should be given to him if they think he deserves it and so he retired without any even after decades of dedicated service to the state. I want my son to look up to me in the same light, I want to hear him tell me in some future date that I am his role model as I tell my father today.

So while I need my son to be in school, I prefer to keep him at home under the prevailing circumstances in West Cameroon until the great school he attends - PSS Bafut, becomes part of a system, a tradition I can trust and be proud of and I am sure there are many more parents out there who think like me. So if the leaders of this nation truly want our children to return to school, let them make the conditions right by meeting the demands of the teachers and the common-law lawyers on the table not underneath the table filthy with corruption. My child should be taught in a system that measures up with world standards and not limited to La Republic’s colonial standards.

We de, man no run
#WirbaChallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment