Thursday, January 28, 2016

“Ei Go Better” (It Will Be Well)



Dear lovely people,

Recently, I watched a Nigerian movie in which a man was at the height of misery. Everything he touched seemed to trickle through his hands. His bank account was in red, his business had collapsed completely, his creditors where at his throat, his children were out of school for fees and the bank was threatening to take over his house. As a matter of fact, he felt as if he was at the end of the road.

One evening when he got home loaded with all these troubles, a loving wife walked up to him, placing her soothing hands at the back of his neck, she said in pidgin “ei go better” meaning all will be well with you. I am sure the wife was basing her comforting words on God’s instruction in Isaiah 3:10 “Tell the righteous it will be well with them, for they will enjoy the fruit of their deeds.”

I know people who have spent the past four years overwhelmed by stress and fear. But at the end of it, what do they have to show for it? Absolutely nothing other than four lost years. These difficult days are demanding far more from people than they've ever been expected to deliver. The daily news will give you a dose of despair because, let's face it: Things aren't looking good. Nobody knows when the economy will get better, when the jobless will find jobs, or when investors will bring in returns. So, tell yourself this day, it will be well with me because:

If I don't find fulfillment in this day as uncertain as it may be, it will be lost to me. If I don't find happiness in this day and every day like it, I won't get a purpose for living any more. If I don’t find a way to get out of the doldrums and give more meaning to my life, I will die a complainer. I'll be a day older, then a year older, then ten years older, and I will have wasted precious time that I did not need to waste.

Dust yourself up and get moving. Be encouraged by God’s soothing words in Jeremiah 15:11 “Surely I will deliver you for a good purpose; surely I will make your enemies plead with you in times of disaster and times of distress.”

No comments:

Post a Comment